October 6, 2011

Calling, Ministry, or Simple Caring



Remember Melanie from http://www.schoolgirlstyle.com/?
This is her classroom.  Can you believe it!!!

I received an email from her  a few weeks ago.  She wrote:


Teaching for me is a calling! 
 In Michigan, teachers are taking
such a big hit right now. 
I tried to explain to one of our politicians
that most of us would teach for nothing -
it isn't about the money or summers off -
we just love kids and love to teach.

So, just a little more from Mr. Rogers
and then I will be back on the job!
Time to get back to work!


He writes:
The thing I remember best about successful people
 I’ve met all through the years
 is their obvious delight in what they’re doing….
and it seems to have very little to do with worldly success. 
 They just love what they’re doing,
and they love it in front of others.

(This is certainly true of Melanie.)


Most folks know that Mr. Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian minister but I had never heard
of this type of ministry.

I love this story.

"When I was ordained, it was for a special ministry, that of serving children and families through television. 
 I consider what I do through
Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood as my ministry. 
A ministry doesn’t have to be through a church,
 or even through an ordination. 
 And I think we all can minister to others
in this world by being compassionate and caring. 
 I hope you will feel good enough about yourselves
that you will want to minister to others,
and that you will find your own unique ways to do that."




If you could only sense how important you are
to the lives of those you meet;
how important you can be to the
people you may never even dream of. 
 There is something of yourself
that you leave at every meeting with another person.


Remember when you leave someone...
 a little bit of you stays behind.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and I love it! Can you get me in touch with Katie Huff. I love her CAFE board and just began CAFE this year in my class.
    peschaff@bresnan.net

    ✿Erika
    2B Honey Bunch

    ReplyDelete