September 22, 2010

Shine on Harvest Moon

Yesterday I picked up Trevor from school. I asked the standard question,  “What did you learn in school today?" Instead of “Not much”, (the standard fourth grade answer) we actually had a conversation about the autumnal equinox which happens to be today.



In class they were supposed to write a couple of sentences about things they knew about an equinox. Well, he had definitely learned my lesson about anything worth doing is worth over-doing. He said he actually wrote 2 ½ pages. I think he got in there somewhere about the days and nights being  equal lengths; and that it marks the beginning of autumn and the end of summer.

But then, he got into the good parts about magicians who have the power to set things right perhaps at the time of the equinox. He told about Mt. Olympia and Poseidon and Zeus and about magic bows, swords, and lightning bolts. He somehow included these words, “the equinox drew near and the sun shined warmer than before.” (I think that was the vernal equinox, but oh, well!  It was an equinox!) I think he has been reading way too much Percy Jackson.

Want to know more about  the characters in the Percy Jackson books?.....Go to the link below.  You would have to ask Trevor to identify the characters. Obviously, something exciting has happened!!! 
http://babbleon5.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-the-lightning-thief-920160.jpg

 He has just finished the last book, The Last Olympian. I love to see a kid with his nose stuck in a book with his mind off to another world and lost in his own imagination. The author, Rick Riordan, has a great website. He started telling the stories to his son who is dyslectic and has ADHD. The stories became books and the rest is history. They really appeal to kids who are interested in adventure, myths, and legends. 


Back to the equinox and
the beginning of fall…

It is really hard to imagine that it is the beginning of fall in Texas when it is 98 degrees outside. So, I turned the air conditioner down to 68 and tossed some of the CTP cut out leaves around my desk. I dreamed of  what it would be like to live in a cooler climate.



Then, I remembered the winters that I spent in upper Michigan and I didn’t miss fall so much. We do get a little cool weather it just comes a little later.
I try to take lots of pictures to remember it.














I made a seasonal scrapbook using all  three sizes of the leaf cut-outs.  Check out 6", 10" Jumbo,  and 1" mini cut-outs.  Together they make  really cute fall scrapbook pages.









CTP printed this on their Facebook pages the other day. One of the comments was…

”Now, that is just adorable!”
 I agree!




So, the autumnal equinox actually occurs at 11:09 (central) tonight. There is supposed to be a big harvest moon, too. Let’s all go out and take a look.
                                                 


"I'll be looking at the moon, but I’ll be seeing you!”


Happy Autumn!

0 comments:

Post a Comment